Monday 9 September 2013

Rain Science

There's a science to when you put a rain jacket on. Neil rode out with me as far as Dursley this morning and light rain began to fall about half way there. The science part is that if your working hard enough and the rain is light enough, your body heat evaporates the water and you stay dry. When Neil turned for home, I headed up the A38 cycle lane, working hard and staying dry. And that's when it all went wrong.
My route planning (which, as I've already said, was done in some haste) took me to the tow path of the Gloucester Canal at just about the same time that the rain got harder. It turns out that the tow path would be fine on a cyclo-cross bike, but was a bit sketchy on a heavily laden road bike. So the work rate went down and I ignored the rain jacket science at the expense of keeping going. Before I knew it I was soaked through and chilled to the bone.
Ed's diner in Gloucester Docks came to the rescue. A full English and bottomless coffee brought me back to life. But a late start and slow progress along the canal meant I was only thirty miles in and time had already ticked past eleven thirty.
The day gradually turned around with the morning's misery slowly clearing like the rain. The sun came out and the roads began to steam dry. Surprisingly, I had good legs today, with just rolling countryside and only a handful of gradients worth getting out of the saddle for. And what countryside it is. This part of England is a hidden treasure. Emphatically rural, stunning landscapes interrupted by unspoilt, working towns like Ledbury, Bromyard and Ludlow. I stopped to take a picture of hop bines and the silence was almost unsettling.
Sadly, the late hour meant I wasn't able to explore Shrewsbury, and one last route mishap meant I had to time trial the last three and a half miles along an A road to beat the failing light and approaching rain. Thankfully I made it; look closely at the Garmin to see that last burst of speed!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment