Thursday 12 September 2013

Perfect, Almost

LEJO'G Day Six: Gretna Green to Dumbarton

This wasn't a perfect day on the bike, but up until three o'clock it was. On perfect days it's sunny, but not too warm. On perfect days there can be wind, but only if it's at your back. The recipe also includes smooth roads, beautiful scenery, fresh legs, and of course, a cafe stop of character. My day had all these things (yes, even fresh legs... considering).

Despite running parallel to the A74 motorway, my route towards Glasgow from Gretna cut away into the surrounding countryside often enough that I soon forgot the busy road was there. Once past Moffat (which supplied the excellent, characterful, cafe stop) and up onto the hills of the Borders, I had the roads and cycle paths to myself. The most disturbing thing about the day was the stupid grin on my face.

I can imagine that in bad weather this route would be bleak, dangerous even. But for me it put on its best face and it was beautiful.

The rain started as I ate a late lunch in another great cafe, this time in Strathaven. It coincided with the run down into East Kilbride and Glasgow and, unfortunately, a slow puncture. I knew the cause; a glass cut in the tyre from day one which had now deteriorated. I really needed a new tyre before I hit the highlands.

So my perfect day was broken by a rain soaked chase down unfamiliar busy streets, balancing the time to stop and pump the tyre to make it safe versus getting to the bike shop before closing. I made it, hopefully without using up all my good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment